Poll

Do you wish *working* syntax hightlighting on this site?

Yes
5 (62.5%)
No
0 (0%)
no opinion
3 (37.5%)

Total Members Voted: 5

Author Topic: Testing code highlighting  (Read 4007 times)

Offline Patriiick

• Administrator
    • prefered language: VB
    • Prog expertise: Good
    • View Profile
  • Twitter: @Patriiick
Testing code highlighting
« on: December 14, 2010, 04:53:31 PM »
I am testing code highlighting on this site, looks like C++ code is rendered quite well, this is not the case for VB. I am using Google Prettify API. If you can help for VB to be rendered better, please reply here, thanks!  :sourire:

When posting code, use the "code" BBC icon to enclose your code and please do not post the XML help code for VB NET (the one with three single quotes), because it messes up the syntax highlighter.

Offline (gile)

• C#
    • prefered language: F
    • View Profile
Re: Testing code highlighting
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2010, 07:27:57 AM »
Hi,

IMO, there's no nedd for this kind of gadget which often provides more inconvinients than advantages.

I'd rather post/read non colorized full and right code than colorized one with syntax errors and/or restrictions.

Every one here is able to copy and paste a piece of code in its favorite code editor...

Offline Patriiick

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2010, 08:56:48 AM »
IMO, there's no need for this kind of gadget which often provides more inconvenients than advantages.
I'd rather post/read non colorized full and right code than colorized one with syntax errors and/or restrictions.
Every one here is able to copy and paste a piece of code in its favorite code editor...

The purpose of syntax highlighter is to facilitate reading the same way code is usualy colorized in code editors like Visual Studio.
Colorisation does not change the code.
Sure we can copy/paste code in our code editor to display syntax highlighting but many people come here not to work with the code but simply to learn from it and having to copy it in a code editor solely for that purpose is cumbersome.
I don't think code colorisation is a gadget when I see all major code editors having this functionnality by default.

Now this is the theory.

As I said in my first message, I am testing this functionnality and it does not work very well specialy with VB code.
I am investigating why.
If I don't find a quick solution, I will disable the functionnality; in the mean time, please answer the poll on this thread about the opportunity to have *working* syntax highlighting on this site.

Offline (gile)

• C#
    • prefered language: F
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2010, 01:18:19 PM »
Appologies for my poor English.
I didn't want to say colorisation is a gadget in a code editor, but I think it is in a web site and according to what i saw in some other web sites (and what your saying), it seems it may not always work well: I saw some characters ('[', ']', '&', ...) displayed in html format.

Just my opinion...

Offline Patriiick

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2010, 05:15:35 PM »
If unwanted characters are introduced in the code, we will not keep this functionnality.

Offline Patriiick

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2010, 04:34:20 PM »
Code highlighting is desactivated for the time being.